Bulimia is a serious, potentially life-threatening eating disorder. People with bulimia regularly overeat, then use the unhealthy way trying to get rid of calories in order to avoid weight gain. After episodes of uncontrolled intake of large amounts of food, people with bulimia threw out food by forced vomiting or excessive use of laxatives and diuretics. Some people burn additional calories with extreme exercise.
If you suffer from bulimia, you certainly know how terrible is the thought that with each passing day you lose more and more control over your own life. The following tips will help you to deal with bulimia easier:
1. Accept that you have a problem. Although the voice of bulimia tells you that the road to happiness and success is the “ideal” number of kilograms, it is necessary to gather the courage to take the first step – to acknowledge and accept that your relationship to food is compromised and is not your control and that you need help.
2. Share your issue with a person who you trust. Certainly it will not be easy to talk about your secret, especially if you have kept it a long time. But if you want to walk out from that “dark circle”, you need the support. So, find a person of confidence that you know that would listen and openly talk about your problem.
3. Avoid people, places and activities that tempt you. At the beginning of treatment it is best to avoid everything that can take you back in the hands of bulimia as hanging out with friends who are frequently on diet and talk about weight reduction, reading fashion and fitness magazines, opening Internet sites that promote bulimia and unhealthy weight loss and more.
4. Discover the reason that you threw in the claws of bulimia. The main problem for people who suffer from bulimia basically is not the overeating, but the abuse of food for easier handling negative feelings like anger, frustration, depression, low self-esteem, fear. Therefore, it is important to find out what is the thing that “eats” you inside. Remember, “obesity” is not a feeling. If you feel unattractive because of your overweight, ask yourself what led to this situation, what really is the problem. Are you upset about something? Are you stressed? Perhaps you feel depressed or lonely? When you find the reason, you will deal with the problem easily.
5. Learn to beat the crisis. Dealing with this disease is not easy, so discover the best way for you to beat the crisis moments. Listening to music, reading a good book, doing good work, visit the cinema, a telephone conversation with your best friend and a walk in nature are just some of the activities that might take you away from the troubled moment.
6. Enhance the image you have of yourself. The vision we have of ourselves should be based on your appearance. Do not ignore the inner qualities that you possess. Learn to see yourself completely, love yourself and value yourself in a positive and balanced way.
7. Learn to eat healthy. Consult a nutritionist or a doctor, make a healthy eating plan and stick to it. Healthy eating habits lead us to victory in the fight against bulimia.
8. Look for a professional help. In order to deal with the problem better and easier, it is necessary to consult with a health professional, who has experience in treating disorders associated with eating, such as bulimia.