Exercise is important for nicely shaped body, but the diet is the key to achieving the desired results. It is not said in vain that a healthy life means 70% food and 30% exercise.
The meal after training is the most important meal of the day.
But what about the meal before training?
Many people act wrongly when it comes to food before exercise, which in turn can affect the effectiveness of the exercise.
Do you need to eat immediately before exercise and which foods are best to eat before training?
We offer some answers below.
Food provides energy to cells and allows cellular respiration from which we get the energy that we use to move the body, perform many metabolic processes, growth, development and so on.
The process of food processing and preparation of molecules used by the cells for the longer lasting of the energy. Therefore, the question is how much time is needed for the energy of the meal to turn into energy that the body can use?
- The time needed for the cells to get energy from the meal depends on the type of food that we eat. Foods containing complex carbohydrates like oats, potatoes, beans, peas, lentils, protein and so on, does not cause sharp rise in insulin and more slowly releases the energy contained within. Such food is ideal for those who do exercises, because cells receive energy constantly and for long period of time.
- Foods containing quick sugars that release the energy and cause sharp rise in insulin levels in the blood cause a pleasant feeling of energy that lasts for a very short time. High levels of insulin cause subsequent decline in blood glucose levels after a short period which again causes the hunger and desire for a quick sugar.
Hereafter, can we get the answer to the question how long should we eat before doing exercises and what food to eat?
It is best to eat 2-3 hours before doing exercises and it should be a meal that will be full of complex carbohydrates or protein.
If you eat foods with complex carbohydrates or foods containing protein 1 hour before doing exercises you will feel bloated and you wll have no energy because food will not be fully processed by the body.
If you believe you have the energy to endure the training or if you do cardio training eat fast food containing sugars. 1 row of chocolate, 1 banana or 1-2 energy balls about 1 hour or 30 minutes before training. These foods will give you instant energy and allow you to endure the exercises easily.
- Eat at least 2-3 hours before training and choose foods containing complex carbohydrates or protein (a piece of meat with salad, salad with boiled potatoes or a stew of peas or lentils).
- Eat one row of chocolate just before training for more energy, a tablespoon of honey, a banana, a handful of dried fruit or 1-2 energy balls that you will prepare them yourself.
Finally, do not forget that:
The meal after training is the most important meal of the day!
To increase the effect of physical activity never practice to eat after exercise. The meal after training needs to include:
- protein (to allow protein synthesis in the muscles)
- carbohydrates (to complement the amount of the glycogen which was spent).